Metal Braces in Fort Worth, TX
A Perfect Smile is Just the Beginning
There’s no doubt that a beautifully straight smile has its benefits. Not only is it easier to maintain optimal oral health, but it can also make life more enjoyable. First impressions are crucial in all aspects of life whether you’re meeting new people or trying to land your dream job.
A straight smile is a symbol of health and happiness, and people with beautiful teeth aren’t afraid to show them off. Traditional metal braces are a trusted orthodontic treatment that can transform your appearance and your path in life. Explore our guide to achieving a straight, flawless smile with orthodontic braces.
The Benefits of Metal Braces
Traditional braces offer a variety of benefits and can fix several orthodontic issues, including:
- Misaligned jaw
- Smile symmetry
- Chewing and speech
- Open bite
Your straight smile will also make it easier to perform your oral hygiene routine, reducing the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Once your treatment is complete, your newfound confidence will shine through.
The Path to a Straight Smile With Braces
Prior to starting your journey with braces, you’ll want to schedule a professional cleaning and exam with Dr. Buchanan. During this visit, we’ll remove any plaque and tartar and assess your smile to ensure your teeth are in optimal condition for braces. Obtaining braces is a simple, four-step process, that includes:
- Consultation – During your initial visit, we’ll examine your oral health, take x-rays, pictures, and molds to prepare for your braces treatment. We’ll create a customized treatment plan that will explain in detail what you can expect in months ahead.
- Application – We’ll glue brackets to the front surfaces of your teeth, a tiny wire will wrap the contours of your arch, and rubber bands will secure the wire to the brackets. This appointment typically takes two hours.
- Appointments – You’ll visit our office every four to six weeks to have your wire adjusted until your teeth are in their desired positions
- Perfection – Once your teeth are perfectly aligned, we’ll remove your braces so you can enjoy the lasting benefits of a beautiful smile!
At Lake Country Dental, we offer a variety of orthodontic treatments to meet your needs. During your consultation, we’ll explain the benefits of our treatments so you can make an informed decision.
Caring for Your Braces
Caring for your smile with braces is crucial to your oral health. After all, you want your smile to be perfect once your braces are removed. To maintain excellent oral health, you’ll want to follow a few guidelines, including:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and rinse between meals
- Use threader floss or try a Waterpik
- Schedule bi-annual exams and professional cleanings at our Fort Dodge office so we can ensure your oral health is on track
- Wear a mouthguard
Following these tips will ensure your treatment runs smoothly, while also avoiding any issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are braces available for children and adults?
At our Lake Country Dental office, braces are available for both children and adults. Metal braces are an effective orthodontic treatment that can realign crooked or crowded teeth, close gaps, and help fix over or underbites.
However, we may suggest an alternative treatment such as Invisalign for older teens or adults because it offers virtually invisible aligners that won’t be embarrassing or complicated in your daily life.
What can I eat with metal braces?
When wearing metal braces, we recommend sticking to softer foods and cutting up some of your food into smaller pieces, this way it’s easier to chew and it won’t damage your metal braces. There are several types of foods that can damage or break your brackets or wires and should be avoided or consumed with caution, including:
- Chewy foods – bagels, hard rolls, licorice
- Crunchy foods – popcorn, ice
- Sticky foods: caramels – gum
- Hard foods – nuts, hard pretzels
- Sugary food – candy
- Foods you have to bite into – corn on the cob, apples, carrots
How long do braces take to work?
When you begin wearing traditional braces, the results will vary depending on factors such as bone density, misalignment, and age. Most patients will generally start to notice changes within four to six weeks, but this can be different for everyone. During your initial consultation, Dr. Buchanan will create a customized treatment plan that will include a timeframe.
How often do you see the orthodontist with braces?
Patients who get metal braces should expect to see one of our Dr. Buchanan every four to six weeks throughout their treatment period. During these visits to our Fort Worth dental office, we’ll check on the progress of your teeth and make any necessary adjustments.
These adjustments may include tightening the braces or replacing the wires. Checkups are typically completed in less than an hour.
Creating A Lifetime of Beautiful Smiles With Braces
A perfect smile will enhance your overall appearance and transform your self-image. People with straight teeth have increased confidence that can open doors and improve other areas of their lives. Having a beautiful smile is highly valued in our society and it’s becoming increasingly common for adults to undergo braces treatment.
It’s never too late to transform your smile. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Buchanan by calling (817) 236-8771. We’ll educate you on the most beneficial treatment options for your unique smile so you can make an informed decision about your orthodontic treatment.