To help you recover quickly and avoid complications with your healing process following implant placement, our dentist and team recommend that you follow your post-op care instructions as closely as possible:
- Do not rinse your mouth for the first day following your procedure.
- The day after your procedure, begin rinsing with warm salt water every 2-3 hours (½ teaspoon in 8 oz. water). Do this for several days. Then begin rinsing after meals and at bedtime for 2 weeks.
- Use prescribed medications, antibiotics, and mouth rinses as directed.
- Use mild pain relievers, such as Tylenol, Advil, or Ibuprofen, to relieve discomfort.
- You may begin brushing your teeth the day after your procedure, but be sure to avoid the surgical site for several days.
- If a temporary crown was placed, do not bite down until given permission to do so.
- Do not wear your denture, partial denture, or other oral appliance until given permission to do so.
- You will likely experience some swelling. Apply ice or cold compresses to the side of your face at 15-minute intervals for the first 48 hours. After 48 hours, switch to heat instead, and continue applying heat until the swelling diminishes.
- Keep your lips moist with Chapstick or Vaseline to prevent cracking.
- Do not operate machinery for 12 hours following your procedure.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products – they can cause your implants to fail.
- If the cover screw or healing abutment of your implant falls out, call our office so that we can replace it. Bring the loosened component with you to this appointment.
- If you have use oral contraceptives and have been prescribed an antibiotic, use an alternate method of birth control until you have completed your course of antibiotics.
If you have questions or concerns about your post-operative care, please contact our office to speak with a member of our team or schedule an appointment with our dentist.